Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Driving Mr. Whigham

Well, originally Phil was going to pick up Jiggs from the airport today, and I was a bit relieved because I would have the evening to work on my jazz theory project. But I got a call at 7:30 from Phil saying "Jiggs plane is delayed and I need to get to a gig. Can you pick him up?" And I was a little bit excited because the more I get to kiss his ass, the better. So I waited for a looooong time for his flight, but when he got here I just felt bad for him because he had been flying or in an airport for 16 hours, which sucks. And was very jetlagged, which also sucks.

So even in a bad mood, Mr. Whigham still maintains a degree of pleasantness. He is probably one of the most charming and personable jazz musicians I have ever met, which I think is partly why he is one of the highest paid trombonists in the world (there are plenty of badasses, but a good personality will get you very far). I see some kroger runs, restaurant runs, organizational skills put to work, and lending out of my trombone in my future this week (his just gets mailed in advance by KING, and might not be here right away). But the bottom line is that I just hope I play well. It doesn't matter how many Kroger runs I make this week, he won't take me as a student if I suck!

In other news, Sam and I tried (the operative word in this sentence being "tried") to teach a song to the kids at Kid's Cafe. We had their attention and cooperation for about ten minutes and then one girl piped up and said "This is stupid!" It all went downhill from there. Oh well, I think Sam is really enthusiastic about the whole thing, which is awesome. She was awesome too. Much better with kids than I am.

Time to go to sleep, I'm dead tired since last night involved lots of alcohol and salsa dancing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home